The Secretary of the Treasury delivered to President Biden a framework for interagency engagement with foreign counterparts and in international fora as directed in the President’s Executive Order on Ensuring Responsible Development of Digital Assets (March 9, 2022).
- Protect consumers, investors, and businesses in the United States and globally by promoting technology and regulatory standards that reflect U.S. values;
- Protect U.S. and global financial stability and mitigate systemic risk;
- Mitigate illicit finance and national security risks posed by misuse of digital assets and counter and respond to efforts by foreign adversaries to drive standards and promote their protocols;
- Reinforce U.S. leadership in the global financial system and in technological and economic competitiveness, including through the responsible development of payment innovations and digital assets and by advancing technology and regulatory standards that align with U.S. values;
- Promote access to safe and affordable financial services; and
- Support technological advances that promote responsible development and use of digital assets by advancing research and relationships that increase shared learning.